For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control].
— 2 Timothy 1:7 (AMP)
Coming back from a long Memorial Day weekend, I was ready to trade again. Futures had set a positive tone overnight. At the open, both SPY and QQQ gapped up above their 200-period moving averages on the 2-minute charts. Momentum looked bullish, with new all-time highs in play.
This post is a full walkthrough of one SPY options trade on May 26, 2026: the levels, the exact entry signal I use, the numbers, why I exited early, and the checklist I’m using so fear doesn’t cut the next winner short.
Pre-market levels (marked in advance)
These came from prior price action on the hourly and 2-minute charts, plus the reaction zones I track daily:
| Symbol | Key level(s) |
|---|---|
| SPY | 749 |
| QQQ | 721 |
| AAPL | 311 |
| NVDA | 217.50 and 215 |
![]() |
| 5/26/26 Charts |
Mindset shift: one high-quality trade per day
I’ve been changing how I day-trade options. Instead of chasing multiple setups, I’m committing to one high-quality trade per day — and only if every criterion in the plan is met.
That isn’t passivity. It’s consolidation: sharper process, tighter risk, decisions rooted in stewardship rather than fear or greed. As a believer, I want to operate from faith and discipline, not emotional reactivity.
What “CC / IBT” means (so you can follow the entry)
I waited for my confirmation: Color-Change (CC) / Institution Bar Takeout (IBT).
In plain language, on my 2-minute chart:
- Color-Change (CC): The candle closes in the direction of the intended trade after pressure against the level (e.g. for a long, a bullish close after a test of support).
- Institution Bar Takeout (IBT): Price takes out the high (for longs) or low (for shorts) of a key “institution” / decision bar at the level — showing acceptance beyond that bar rather than a fake poke.
Both must align with a pre-marked key level (here, SPY 749). No CC/IBT at the level → no trade, even if the open “feels” bullish.
Today’s trade: SPY bounce off 749
SPY respected 749 and began to bounce. Once CC/IBT triggered, I went long.
Trade log
| Field | Detail |
|---|---|
| Date | May 26, 2026 |
| Underlying | SPY |
| Contract | SPY Jun 5 $750 calls |
| Quantity | 2 contracts |
| Entry | $1.45 premium |
| Stop | $1.25 (invalidation below the key-level structure) |
| First target (T1) | $1.65 (+$0.20) |
| Stretch target | ~$2.05+ |
| Exit | $1.54 |
| Outcome vs plan | Winner, but exited before T1 |
![]() |
| Trade Execution: SPY 5/26 750 Calls |
Risk and result (premium math)
Options P/L ≈ (exit − entry) × 100 × contracts.
| Calculation | Result | |
|---|---|---|
| Risk to stop | ($1.45 − $1.25) × 100 × 2 | $40 risked |
| Actual P/L | ($1.54 − $1.45) × 100 × 2 | +$18 (~6% on premium) |
| If held to T1 ($1.65) | ($1.65 − $1.45) × 100 × 2 | +$40 |
| If held to ~$2.05 | ($2.05 − $1.45) × 100 × 2 | +$120 |
I took $18 instead of the planned first target ($40) or the move that printed near $2.05 (~$120). The edge wasn’t wrong. The exit was.
![]() |
| 5/26/26 Fills |
Fear disguised as caution
Why exit at $1.54 when the plan said hold toward $1.65 / $2.05?
In the moment, several fears stacked:
- Trade fired in the first ~15 minutes — my “this might reverse” alarm
- Price at new all-time highs — felt precarious
- AAPL / NVDA lagging — doubt about broader participation
- Memories of past losses — “lock it in before it turns”
The stop was valid. The plan was valid. I still let emotion override the edge. That wasn’t prudent scaling. That was a spirit of fear managing the trade.
Prudent scale-out vs fear exit
| Prudent scale-out | Fear exit (what I did) | |
|---|---|---|
| Trigger | Pre-written rule (e.g. take 50% at T1, runner to T2) | Anxiety, open volatility, lagging names |
| Written in plan beforehand? | Yes | No |
| Stop still honored for remainder? | Yes | N/A — flat early |
| Journal tag | scale_plan | fear_early_exit |
Going forward: if I scale, it must be a pre-trade rule, not a mid-trade feeling.
Pre-trade checklist (use before every entry)
- Key levels marked (SPY / QQQ / leaders) from higher timeframe + 2-min reaction zones
- One-trade-per-day slot still open
- CC and IBT present at the level
- Stop price written (structure-based)
- T1 and stretch target written
- Scale rule written or “full size to T1” chosen on purpose
- If I exit early, I will journal the emotion word (fear / greed / boredom / FOMO)
2 Timothy 1:7 on the trading desk
Paul wasn’t writing about markets, but the psychology maps cleanly:
| From the verse | In trading it looks like |
|---|---|
| Fear / timidity | Early exits, hesitation on valid setups, revenge over-trading, avoiding calculated risk |
| Power | Confidence in a defined edge |
| Love | Stewarding capital and time — not gambling them |
| Sound judgment + discipline | Calm rule-following when the open is loud |
Lessons I’m taking into the next session
- Pre-trade routine — Prayer and visualization before the open; remember who God says I am.
- Trust the written plan — Once stop and targets are set, manage the trade; don’t let fear manage me.
- Journal every exit — P/L and the emotion/reason. Tag fear_early_exit when that’s honest.
- One-trade mindset — Quality over quantity.
FAQ
Is exiting early ever correct?
Yes — if price invalidates structure or a pre-written scale rule hits. Exiting because ATH “feels” scary while the stop is intact is not the same thing.
What is CC/IBT again?
Color-change close in trade direction + takeout of the key decision bar at a pre-marked level. Both required.
Why publish a small winner?
Because the lesson isn’t the $18. It’s the gap between plan ($40 / ~$120) and fear ($18). That’s the edge leak I’m closing.
Related reading
- Patience Tested: Lessons from a Forced SPY Options Trading Session
- Anchor 1: Renew Your Mind (pair the psychology with this trade)
Stay disciplined, stay faithful, and trade with power.
Disclaimer: Educational journal content only. Not financial advice. Options involve substantial risk of loss.




Comments
Post a Comment